Thursday, June 17, 2010

finding my footing...

having so much fun with photography at the moment.  still so much I feel I have to learn though and find my footing, so to speak, in what kind of photography I would like to do and whether it is something I can pursue full time, or just a crazy hobby.  Have been organising getting some friends together for some shoots next week to build up my portfolio, which I am really excited about.  so many friends have been really supportive, and keen to get involved, which has made it even more fun.  should be posting those photos up here soon.


Also been getting more involved with the whole social network thing, and getting to know many great photographers on twitter.  never thought I would get into the whole twitter thing, as didn't really understand it, but thanks to my friend Emily, have been converted, and don't think I will look back.  if you are a tweeter, some great photographers to follow are Scott Bourne, Trey Ratcliff , Jonathan Nafarrete, The Strobist and Jack Hollingsworth.  


If you are also into photoshop, like me, and wana learn more some great websites I have also found recently are Photoshop Tutorials, if you are looking at more photo manipulation, this site is great as takes you through step by step and is free.  Then if you are looking for some fab actions to spruce your photos up a bit then Totally Rad Actions is for you.  Their actions are are little on the pricey side (about $150 for a set), but really worth it.  They also have a good blog on their website with interviews with other photographers for tips and insights etc.  


Then, finally I have also come across recently photographer Kane Longden's work.  Kane has done a few collaborations with Rosie Hardy, and that's how I came across his work.  Love his work especially the new photos recently of the girl in the field.  Check him out on his flickr or on his twitter.  


Ok, so now for the pic! trying to upload something every time I write.  Unfortunately this photo isn't completely new material, but was taken in this December holidays just gone, when the hubby and I went to Zimbabwe for Christmas.  We stayed in Vic Falls next to the Zambesi River in a game reserve. it was a fantastic break, away from everything.  The wild life and scenery was epic, and as I had just purchased my Canon 450D, was a great opportunity to get out there shooting!  The cloud formation was so different over there and this pic was taken on one of our sunset cruises on the Zambesi, just before a big storm was about to hit us.  


Hope you like it. Until next time...